Updated: May 31, 2016
This policy describes how Shift Messenger treats your information, not how other entities treat your information. If you are using Shift Messenger in a workplace or on a device or account issued to you by your employer or another entity, that company or entity likely has its own policies regarding storage, access, modification, deletion, and retention of communications and content which may apply to your use of Shift Messenger. Content that would otherwise be considered private to you or to a limited group of people may, in some cases, be accessible by an Administrative User. Please check with your employer or an Organization Administrator about the policies it has in place regarding your communications and related content on Shift Messenger. More on this below.
In this policy we talk about various roles within a Shift Messenger Organization and the privileges that come with each. It’s helpful to understand these roles and the relationships between them. Here’s the breakdown: Organization Administrator > Workplace Location Admin > Member. Organization Administrators have the most control over their Organization’s settings on Shift Messenger, followed by Workplace Location Admin. The person who establishes the Shift Messenger Organization is considered the Organization Administrator with the most control over the Organization. This person can assign Workplace Location Admin to help manage the list of Organization members. These Admin can verify and remove member accounts at specific workplace location(s) within the Organization.
Information we collect and receive
We collect different kinds of information. Here are the types of information we collect or receive:
- Account and profile information. We require an email address or phone number, your first and last name, and your workplace location(s) to create your Shift Messenger account. Optional information you can enter into your profile includes information such as a profile photo and your role. Your Organization Administrator(s) may request you to provide additional information about yourself in your profile, and Shift Messenger has no control over such additional information collected. Any information you add to your profile is visible to other people in your Organization.
- Organization information. When you create an Organization on Shift Messenger, we may collect your Organization name, Shift Messenger domain (ex: your-organization-name.shiftmessenger.com), and the names and addresses of the workplace locations where Shift Messenger will be used.
- Billing information. If you purchase a premium version of Shift Messenger, our third party payment processors may collect and store your billing address and credit card information.
- Log data. When you use Shift Messenger, our servers automatically record information, including information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website or your mobile app sends when you’re using it. This log data may include your Internet Protocol address, the address of the web page you visited before coming to Shift Messenger, your browser type and settings, the date and time of your request, information about your browser configuration and plug-ins, language preferences, and cookie data. Log data does not contain message content and is not routinely deleted.
- Device information. In addition to log data, we may also collect information about the device you’re using Shift Messenger on, including what type of device it is, what operating system you’re using, device settings, unique device identifiers, and crash data. Whether we collect some or all of this information often depends on what type of device you’re using and its settings.
- Geo-location information. Precise GPS from mobile devices is collected only with your permission. WiFi and IP addresses received from your browser or device may be used to determine approximate location.
- Shift Messenger usage information. This is information about which Organizations, workplaces, people, features, content, and links you interact with within Shift Messenger and what integrations with related services you use.
- Communication content that you send and receive within Shift Messenger. This includes:
- The message content itself. This content can include messages, pictures, files and video among other types of files.
- When messages or files were sent and by whom, when or if they were seen by you, and where you received them (in a workplace or direct message, for example).
- Information from partners or other 3rd parties. Shift Messenger may receive information from partners or others that we could use to make our own information better or more useful. This might be aggregate level information about which IP addresses go with which zip codes or it might be more specific information about how well an online marketing or email campaign performed.
Cookies are small text files sent by us to your computer and from your computer to us, each time you visit our website. They are unique to your Shift Messenger account or your browser. Session-based cookies last only while your browser is open and are automatically deleted when you close your browser. Persistent cookies last until you or your browser delete them or until they expire.
Some cookies are associated with your Shift Messenger account and information you provide in order to remember that you are logged in and which Organizations you are logged into. Other cookies are not tied to your Shift Messenger account but are unique and allow us to do site analytics and customization, among other similar things. If you access Shift Messenger through your browser, you can manage your cookie settings there but if you disable all cookies you may not be able to use Shift Messenger.
Shift Messenger sets and accesses our own cookies on our company-owned domains. In addition, we use 3rd parties like Google Analytics and Mixpanel for website analytics. You may opt-out of third party cookies from Google Analytics and Mixpanel on their respective websites. We do not currently recognize or respond to browser-initiated Do Not Track signals as there is no consistent industry standard for compliance.
How we use your information
We use your information for the following:
- Providing the Shift Messenger service. We use information you provide to authenticate you and deliver message content to you and from you.
- Understanding and improving our products. To make the product better we have to understand how users are using it. We have a fair bit of data about usage and we intend to use it many different ways to improve our products, including research. This policy is not intended to place any limits on what we do with usage data that is aggregated.
- Investigating and preventing bad things from happening. We work hard to keep Shift Messenger secure and to prevent abuse and fraud.
- Communicating with you
- Solving your problems and responding to your requests. If you contact us with a problem or question, we will use your information to respond to that request and address your problems or concerns.
- In-product communications. We may use the information you provide to contact you through Shift Messenger using in-product messaging tools. For example, if, after, a few weeks of using Shift Messenger we notice that your notification setting is set to notify you of all messages, we may send you a message that suggests you change this in case you are getting too many notifications. This is just one example of how we use information about your usage of the product to make suggestions to you.
- Email, SMS, and Phone messages. We may also contact you to inform you about changes in our services, our service offerings and important service related notices, such as changes to this policy or security and fraud notices.
When you use Shift Messenger, you have control over a number of things with respect to your own privacy and choices about how your content is visible to others or not. If you are a Shift Messenger Organization Administrator, you have additional choices that impact your Organization’s privacy. Some members will not have access to all of the same choices that their Organization Administrator(s) do. That is because Shift Messenger is set up to be Organization-oriented, and provides Organization Administrators with the maximum ability to control their Organizations.
Data Export Options
Shift Messenger offers different options for data export (including messages and shift posts) to Organization Administrators, depending on the level of service they have signed up for.
- Data Exports
- Organization Administrators can export their Organization’s messages and files that are shared in workplaces.
Choices for Organization Members
- If you are a member of an Organization, you may leave your Organization. Leaving an Organization disables your access to the Shift Messenger Organization associated with that account but does not delete your profile or content, which are considered part of your Organization’s data.
- Whether you can delete your message content depends on your Organization’s settings. In addition, a record of edits and deletions may be retained by your Organization, depending on the service level of your Organization and your Organization’s settings.
- While you cannot completely delete a profile once it is created, you can update your profile information at any time.
- When you upload a file on Shift Messenger, you can decide where to share it and with whom. You can also share files with your entire workplace or via private message. Files are not subject to message retention settings but can be deleted at any time by the person who uploaded the file or by your Organization Administrator.
Choices for Organization Administrators
- Organization Administrators have the ability to manage and change most of the Organization settings. They can also remove member accounts for their Organization.
- Organization Administrators can assign Workplace Location Admin to manage member accounts at a workplace location within the Organization. These Admin can verify and deactivate member accounts at a specific workplace location within the Organization.
- Only an Organization Administrator can deactivate or delete an Organization.
- The browser or device you use may provide you with the ability to control cookies or other types of local data storage.
- Your mobile device may provide you with choices around how and whether location or other data is shared with us.
- Shift Messenger does not control these choices, or default settings, which are offered by makers of your browser or mobile device.
Sharing and Disclosure
There are times when communications and related content and other user information may be shared by Shift Messenger. This section discusses only how Shift Messenger may share user information. Organizations that use Shift Messenger may have their own policies for sharing and disclosure of information they can access through Shift Messenger. Shift Messenger may share information:
- With consent, to comply with legal process, or to protect Shift Messenger and our users. When we have your consent or if we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation or legal request; to protect the safety, rights, or property of the public, any person, or Shift Messenger; or to detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues. If we receive a law enforcement or other third party request for information we will provide prior notice to the subject of the request where we are legally permitted to do so.
- About you with your Organization or Organization Administrator(s).
- We may share your email address, phone number and Organization name with your Organization. If the email address under which you've registered your account belongs to or is controlled by an Organization (to be clear, we’re not talking about free web-based email providers like Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo! Mail) we may disclose that email address and associated Organization names to that Organization in order to help it understand who associated with that Organization uses Shift Messenger, and to assist the Organization with its enterprise accounts. Please do not use a work email address for our services unless you are authorized to do so, and are therefore comfortable with this kind of sharing.
- In addition, there may be times when you contact Shift Messenger to help resolve an issue specific to an Organization you are a member of. In order to help resolve the issue, we may need to share your concern with your Organization Administrator.
- As described above in the Data Export Options section, Organization Administrators have certain rights to export their Organization's messages, shift post history and files.
- For Business and Research Purposes.
- We may also share aggregated information with our partners or others for business or research purposes. For example, we may tell a prospective Shift Messenger customer the average number of messages sent within a Shift Messenger Organization in a day or may partner with research firm or academics to explore interesting questions about workplace communications. Again, this policy is not intended to prohibit the disclosure and use of aggregated data.
Shift Messenger takes reasonable steps to protect information you provide to us as part of your use of the Shift Messenger service from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access or disclosure. These steps take into account the sensitivity of the information we collect, process and store and the current state of technology. When you enter sensitive information (such as sign-in credentials) we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL). We follow generally accepted standards to protect the data submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. However, no electronic or email transmission or digital storage mechanism is ever fully secure or error free.
Shift Messenger is not directed to children under 13. If you learn that a minor child has provided us with personal information without your consent, please contact us.
We may change this policy from time to time, and if we do we’ll post any changes on this page. If you continue to use Shift Messenger after those changes are in effect, you agree to the revised policy. If the changes are material, we may provide more prominent notice or seek your consent to the new policy.
Contacting Shift Messenger
Shift Messenger, Inc.
1355 Market #488
San Francisco, CA 94103